[iwar] [fc:Shelton.Departs,.Citing.Spy.Force.As.Weak.Link]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-02 05:34:55

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 05:34:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Shelton.Departs,.Citing.Spy.Force.As.Weak.Link]

Defense News
October 1-7, 2001
Shelton Departs, Citing Spy Force As Weak Link
Joint Chiefs Repeatedly Urged Congress To Boost Intelligence
By Vince Crawley, Washington

The departing chairman of the U.S.  Joint Chiefs of Staff says the
United States will pay a price for cutting back on ground-based
intelligence assets - better known as spies.

"That's not the intel community's fault," said Army Gen.  Henry Shelton.
Rather, he said, it was a conscious decision by the U.S.  government a
number of years ago "to get out of the human intelligence business to a
large degree."

And that kind of human intelligence capability cannot be rebuilt
overnight, Shelton said.  "You can't create it when you need it.  You've
got to have it, and it's got to be in place."

Despite the challenges that lie ahead in the battle against terrorism,
Shelton expressed full confidence in America's armed forces to handle
whatever missions are given them.  He said the men and women in uniform
are "America's decisive edge" and already have played crucial roles in
responding to the Sept.  11 terror attacks on New York and Washington.
"We've seen our very best respond to their very worst," Shelton said in
a wide-ranging interview with Defense News during his final week as the
nation's senior military officer.

Shelton was required by law to retire Sept.  30.  His former deputy, Air
Force Gen.  Richard Myers, has replaced him as chairman of the Joint
Chiefs.  For the past four years, Shelton said, the Joint Chiefs
repeatedly have testified before Congress that "one of the real
shortfalls in our intelligence community" is so-called human
intelligence.

Human intelligence involves agents on the ground, often undercover,
trying to learn as much as they can about potential enemies.  Ideally,
they infiltrate potential enemy groups.  But such shadowy "spy vs.  spy"
operations were sharply reduced at the end of the Cold War.

Intelligence Gaps Revealed

Operation Enduring Freedom, as the Pentagon calls its part in the war on
terrorism, already is revealing intelligence gaps as the military tries
to locate suspected terrorist leader Osama bin Laden.

"What this will show us is that we probably should have been pushing
this a little harder for the last 10 years," Shelton said of human
intelligence efforts.  "But just because we're not where we'd like to be
is no reason not to do anything."

Instead, he said, the United States should start investing heavily now
to help in future intelligence operations.

"There are certain things you will probably not find out unless you have
...  operatives on the ground," Shelton said.  "And knowing that you
can't create that overnight gets to be very frustrating.  You think,
'Boy, if we just had the foresight to invest in this and create the
structure, now's when it would really pay off.' "

Echoing other senior U.S.  officials, Shelton said the war on terrorism
will involve many agencies, not just the military.

"This is all elements of our national power going after the bad guys,"
Shelton said.

Even so, fighting terrorism is not entirely new to the armed forces, he
said.  In some respects, this campaign is similar to the war on drugs
that has raged for years in Central and South America.  The military's
involvement has been limited, but many of those missions have included
special operations troops, whose successes have depended on good
intelligence.  Drug cartels and terrorists both involve national
security, so the military should play a role in both campaigns, he said.
And hunting drug lords can be similar to tracking down terrorist
ringleaders.

"You start to go from cartels into cells of terrorists.  ...  There's a
similarity," he said.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM