Re: [iwar] The role of self-attribution

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-10-19 12:04:56

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:04:56 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] The role of self-attribution

I think this is a fascinating (and definitely iwar) topic.  I would pose
the question such:

What are the implications and ramifications, given a clear act of terrorism, of

   a.  claiming responsibility
   b.  denying responsibility
   c.  accusing others
   d.  remaining silent

Especially interesting is the possible case of one party committing an act
with the purpose of making another party appear to be the perpetrator. In
such a case, one might expect the real "perp" to employ (c) or (d) at the
outset, but things could be yet further twisted.  Such acts may be
undertaken by either sympathetic or antithetic parties.

I agree that ambiguity can serve to heighten the fear-factor, as it
engenders an inability to focus upon a solution.

_____tony____

At 12:44 PM 10/18/01 +0000, ellisd wrote:

>Why didn't the organization behind the 9/11 attack take credit?
>
>Why hasn't the organization behind the ongoing anthrax saga taken credit?
>
>Is there more information strength in ambiguity?
>
>The pros (as I see them) to not taking credit are:
>-Our inference mechanisms may be incorrect leading to misdirection
>-Psychological effects of uncertainty
>     -subjects insite more fear within themselves than actors could
>-in a forest-like organization (as opposed to a tree-like organization),
>it is more difficult to attribute credit when there maybe multiple forces
>involved, not taking credit avoids rifts
>
>The cons:
>-Other psychological effects
>-Being deemed a coward and summarily dismissed
>
>Undetermined (by myself):
>-Which has a greater influence to insight would-be followers?  If you have
>no followers but want to take advantage of somebody else's followers, then
>obviously not taking credit is a good thing.  This, I suppose goes along
>with the misdirection pro.
>
>I am sure there are better reasons (pros and cons) and I just haven't been
>enlightened yet.  Regardless, the lack of self-attribution in the recent
>events has really bothered me.  It seems more "manly" for lack of a better
>word (forgive me here, e.r.) to take credit, but so far, I can so no real
>reason to take credit when attribution can be avoided.
>
>If you feel that I am way off target in context of the recent attacks,
>then please generalize my comments.  I am aware of a great deal of
>evidence which provides some degree of attribution, but that attribution
>is far from complete.

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM