[iwar] ACLU Online: ACLU Appalled by Ashcroft Statement on Dissent (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-12-14 06:42:18

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:42:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] ACLU Online:  ACLU Appalled by Ashcroft Statement on Dissent (fwd)

ACLU Online:  December 14, 2001
The e-newsletter of the American Civil Liberties Union

*********************************

IN THIS ISSUE:
-- The ACLU: Now More than Ever
-- ACLU Appalled by Ashcroft Statement on Dissent
-- News Round-Up: ACLU Sues Justice Department; ACLU 'Roundtable'; Juvenile Justice

*********************************

The ACLU:
Now More Than Ever

Out of the ashes of the terrorist attacks on September 11, the nation
has seen a remarkable rebirth of patriotism and the waving of the
American flag.  Showing the flag, in fact, has become an act of both
pride and defiance - an assertion that American freedom and values can
withstand any attack.

As civil libertarians, we too love the flag and the values for which it
stands.  But we also know that the flag is only a symbol of the living,
breathing democracy called the United States, a democracy that - now
more than ever - needs vigilance, care and maintenance to survive with
its freedoms intact.

Today it is the/your ACLU that is taking the lead in defending our
freedoms.  That is why we ask that you affirm your commitment to our
shared mission by joining the ACLU at:

http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a48644a80483590a0

Certainly the terrorists who attacked us took insidious advantage of our
tolerance and our love of liberty - enjoying our freedoms while plotting
our destruction.  But does that mean our freedoms are at fault? Or that
being tolerant of others is wrong?

The ACLU's answer is an emphatic "NO." The principles engraved in our
Constitution are the bedrock of our country.  They define us as a
people.  They are the source of our strength as a nation.  They are our
enduring legacy to the world.

And defending them in a time of national crisis is more than an act of
patriotism - it is a moral imperative.

Your ACLU will not quietly stand by and let our nation be intimidated
into undermining our basic freedoms.  We believe that if America is
coerced into giving up fundamental rights, the terrorists will have won.

But we need your membership to stop that from happening. Please join us today at:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a48644a80483590a0

*********************************

ACLU APPALLED BY ASHCROFT STATEMENT ON DISSENT

The following is a portion of the statement of Laura W.  Murphy,
Director of the ACLU's Washington Office:

"In a blatant attempt to stifle growing criticism of recent government
policy, Attorney General Ashcroft delivered testimony last week equating
legitimate political dissent with something unpatriotic and un-American.
We urge the Attorney General to learn from the history of American
dissent -- from the Civil War to the civil rights struggle -- that free
and robust debate is one of the main engines of social and political
justice.

"While we feel as strongly as the rest of America that those who
perpetrated the monstrous acts of September 11 must be brought to
justice and our future safety ensured, we forcefully disagree with the
Attorney General that domestic debate about the government response in
any way harms the investigation.  In fact, we believe debate only
strengthens our government in this time of national crisis."

Click below to read the full statement:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a48644a80483590a3

********************************

NEWS ROUND-UP

Citing the government's continuing refusal to adequately respond to
human rights organizations in filing the first lawsuit requesting the
disclosure of basic information about those individuals arrested and
detained since September 11.

"The Justice Department consistently refuses to provide the information
necessary to guarantee the American public that those jailed since
September 11 are being accorded the constitutional protections
guaranteed to all people in America by the Bill of Rights," said Steven
R.  Shapiro, ACLU Legal Director.

Click below for more information on this lawsuit:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a48644a80483590a5

ACLU 'ROUNDTABLE' HITS NEWSSTANDS TODAY IN LATEST ISSUE OF "THE NEW YORKER"

Seeking to further the critical dialogue on civil liberties and safety
in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks, the ACLU is
publishing excerpts from a recent series of conversations it convened
with a diverse group of people on the question, "Can we be both safe and
free?"

The answers, gathered from 14 men and women from around the nation,
appear in a special 4-page pamphlet titled "Life in the Balance" in the
December 17 issue of "The New Yorker" that hits newsstands December 10.

Click below to learn more:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a48644a80483590a2

ACLU FILES BRIEFS IN LANDMARK JUVENILE JUSTICE CASE IN CALIFORNIA

The California Supreme Court heard arguments earlier this month that
Proposition 21, the largest crime-related initiative in California
history, violates the state Constitution and strips courts of their
traditional powers.

In friend-of-the-court briefs filed in Manduley v.  Superior Court, the
ACLU and a broad group of 40 organizations argue that an appeals court
was correct in holding that Proposition 21 unconstitutionally strips
judges of the authority to decide whether a child can be tried as an
adult.

To read more about the ACLU's opposition to Proposition 21, go to:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15545a48644a80483590a1

American Civil Liberties Union
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, New York 10004-2400