[iwar] IWAR TECH

From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 12:39:23 PST

I would like to expand on my vision for iwar.

This list can be employed in two (somewhat) distinct ways. Most often, it
is/was used to air views of a particular geo-political event, with
consideration for the "spin" component as a sort of side-issue. In
contrast (as much as I enjoy politics for its own sake) I look toward its
role as a focus for spin-detection and "truth" disabiguation, specifically
for techniques/rationale that might be developed to assist in such
endeavor, independent of the particular issue at hand.

I recall, shortly after 9-11, Fred produced a HUGE compilation of "Op-Ed"
clippings from the left, right, and centrist newspapers of some 50+
countries around the globe. I read every word, and I think my "real-world"
IQ rose about 10 points. Fascinating to me was how, having all the
material available at one shot, one was able to "see" an entire
geo-political terrain, whereas most of our "local, national and
international news" give us disconnected postcards of a desert here, a
valley there, etc.

Imagine that one could "automate" that process on a regular basis, with
varying "focus", and with the following "improvements":

1. The Op-Ed (or whatever) entries were mapped to some (plausibly)
unbiased/neutral web of "alliances/alignments" (political, financial,
cultural, etc.) That mapping would itself be fluid, as alliances are
re-evaluated, events intervene, etc.

2. "Synopsized" (is that a word?) into set of "Major Hypotheses" about
real-world events, and the groups that tend to cluster around these major
positions.

Unfortunately, everything is defined in terms of everything else.

If you assume you know the "alliances/alignments", you can render degrees
of "truth judgement" on the Major Hypotheses.

In contrast, if you believe you "know" the truthful Hypotheses, you may
discover unexpected "alliances".

An "Engine" for treating the problem from both ends would be interesting ...

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/kgFolB/TM