Re: [iwar] them's fightin' words

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-10-23 11:58:16

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:58:16 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] them's fightin' words

The heart of my comments is in the recognition that the inflammatory
rhetoric came from a "sports figure".  He is right to be chastised for
speech that incites violence or hatred, but "back-attacks" are often a poor
mix of attacking both the form of speech and the elements that may (or may
not) underlie it.

When a human intends to convey their learned beliefs, they must deal both
with the issues they attempt to raise, and the manner in which they have
learned to speak.

It is the responsibility of rational people to distinguish these two
elements, on both the speaking, and listening parties.

____tony____

At 11:30 AM 10/23/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Per the message sent by Tony Bartoletti:
>
> > At 05:41 PM 10/22/01 -0700, you wrote:
> > >I DON'T CARE IF THIS GUY PLAYS RACQUETBALL WITH THE GODS.  NO ONE WHO
> > >IS AN INNOCENT DESERVES TO BE MURDERED BY FALSE PROPHESY. TO WRITE THIS
>
> > [snip]
>
> > No need to shout.
>
>I am unconvinced.  Sometimes there is a need to shout and this may be the
>time.
>
>All of this quiet soft-spoken garbage gets to me now and then too.  I
>think a bit of rage in this case is well justified.  It may well be time
>for the US to stop being so quiet and start taking more boisterous
>positions on some issues.  Not a cowboy response - but rather an all out
>assault on those who promulgate hatred in their rhetoric - starting at
>home...  with extremists on both sides of the political line.
>Unfortunately, Bush cannot do it because it is the right wing extremists
>in the US who put him in place and the left wing extremists who provided
>fodder for the fire that allowed him to claim morality.
>
>Only getting started...
>
>FC

Do Continue! :)

___tony___

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM