RE: [iwar] [fc:Arab.world.poverty.--.whose.fault?]

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-10-29 09:14:58

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:14:58 -0700
Subject: RE: [iwar] [fc:Arab.world.poverty.--.whose.fault?]

Forgive me, but I am led to believe that after the Soviets were forced out,
our involvement did not end.   The flow of arms (or money, either way) for
anti-Soviet resistance may have waned, true.  But until roughly the period
of Khobar Towers and the USS Cole bombing, it seems we have continued
financially to support Pakistan in supporting the Taliban, as a "stablizing
force" that would help ensure a big-oil return-on-investment for a pipeline
from Turkmenistan, through Afganistan and Pakistan, to the sea.

Perhaps this is all anti-American propaganda.

But curiously, just last night, A CNN "Headline News" anchor was reporting
on the prospects for a coalition that would re-instate the exiled Afgan
King, remarking that this coalition would include a considerable "aid
package" for the region that would include -- you guessed it -- that very
same pipeline.

Spin on top of Spin?

____tony____

At 01:17 PM 10/27/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I Might point out that the US had no involvement other than supplying
>the anti-Soviet afgans with weapons. We plyed no role other that prior
>to Sept 11. Unlike Vietnam, we played only a cameo in this fight.  You
>disappointment me with your lack of understanding of the present
>situation.   We never were active players in the war with Russia. While
>we worked out of pakistan to supply weapons. what the Pakistanias did
>in that war ia  There problems is for them to answer for.
>
>Afganistan was not even a strategic partner.  See China if yoy see who
>helped us keep tabs on the Soviets during this time/
>--- Ross Stapleton-Gray <amicus@well.com> wrote:
> > At 10:21 PM 10/26/01 -0700, e.r. wrote:
> > >Whose fault is the peoples suffering? The bad guys can start taking
> > >numbers.  We just came on the scene after 11 Sept...
> >
> > Huh?  The situation in Afghanistan is certainly in part due to our
> > past
> > involvement, for good or ill; the U.S., with Pakistan as a channel,
> > pumped
> > resources into Afghanistan to fight the USSR in one of the last proxy
> > wars
> > of the Cold War.
> >
> > One might speculate what would have happened had the U.S. not
> > promoted the
> > Mujaheddin as insurgents against the Soviets... might Afghanistan
> > have been
> > more like Mongolia, i.e., loosely in the Soviet sphere of influence,
> > then
> > cut loose when the Soviet empire fell apart?  What we've now got, to
> > some
> > extent, are chickens coming home to roost.
> >
> > Ross

>Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals.
>http://personals.yahoo.com

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM