RE: [iwar] New worm spreading, @home coming back, etc.

From: Robert D. Hughes (rob@robhughes.com)
Date: 2001-12-04 12:49:54

From: "Robert D. Hughes" <rob@robhughes.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:49:54 -0600
Subject: RE: [iwar] New worm spreading, @home coming back, etc.

Point one goes without saying. This is where the whole
"cyber-terrorist" comes from, and these mis-guided individuals, while
not yet having cost lives, are certainly a problem.

Point two I got to experience personally. That it was painful and
inconvenient is an understatement. However, the new AUP is quite
vague on many areas. Bear with me while I quote a few sections:

(c.) Authorization. AT&T Broadband does not claim any ownership of
any material that Customer publishes, transmits or distributes using
the Service. By using the Service to publish, transmit or distribute
material or content, Customer (i) is warranting that the material or
content complies with the provisions of this Agreement, (ii) is
authorizing AT&T Broadband, its agents and affiliates to reproduce,
publish, distribute, and display such content worldwide and (iii) is
warranting that Customer has the right to provide such authorization.
Customer acknowledges that material posted or transmitted using the
Service may be copied, republished or distributed by third parties,
and Customer agrees to indemnify, defend and hold harmless AT&T
Broadband, its agents and affiliates for any harm resulting from such
actions.

This seems to refute the rumor that ATT is claiming ownership on
material/content passing through their system.

(f.) IP Addresses. AT&T Broadband will provide Customer with dynamic
IP connection(s) as a component of the Service. Customer will not
alter, modify, or tamper with such dynamic IP connection(s) or those
of any other customer. Customer agrees not to use a dynamic DNS to
associate a host name with such dynamic IP connection(s) for any
commercial purpose. Customer also agrees not to use any software on
or in conjunction with any computer(s) or network device connected to
the Service that provides for static IP connections. If applicable,
AT&T Broadband will take back the dynamic IP connection(s) upon
disconnection, discontinuance, or termination of the Service or this
Agreement.

This is really interesting. They say you can't use a dynamic dns for
commercial purposes, but nothing about just running your own dns
service. The bit about "static IP connections" also is rather vague.

(i.) FTP/HTTP Service Setup. Customer acknowledges that when using
the Service there are certain applications such as FTP (File Transfer
Protocol) server or HTTP (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol) server which
may be used by other persons or entities to allow such other persons
or entities to gain access to Customer's Equipment. Customer is
solely responsible for the security of the Customer Equipment or any
other equipment Customer chooses to use in connection with the
Service, including without limitation any data stored on such
equipment. Neither AT&T Broadband nor its affiliates shall have any
liability whatsoever for any claims, losses, actions, damages, suits
or proceedings resulting from, arising out of or otherwise relating
to the use of such applications by Customer, or the access by others
to the Customer Equipment or other equipment of Customer.

This section seems to indicate that you can run a server, but you're
on your own if you do.

On point three, of course any virus/worm just scanning IPs won't be
affected. However, if evidence was shown that these virus/worm
entities were getting into places they shouldn't have had a route to,
it would be a most interesting discussion.

On point four, yes, isn't it? I have a number of scans from when I
was doing some trouble shooting. I couldn't believe what I was
seeing. It seems to be fixed now as all I see is my traffic and
broadcasts. We'll see what happens when people return home and the
network gets busy again.

On point five, is there ever not one doing more or less that any
more?

On point six, well, its Wednesday now.

Rob